Monday, February 26, 2007

The Last King Of Scotland

Hubby and I manage to time out and went for a movie last night.

These days, with babies, it tough to find time to do such things, so ultra selective we are to make sure the show is worth our time.

Had been meaning to drool over Ken Watanabe in Letters from Iwo Jima but when we reached Plaza Sing, we found that the Last King of Scotland is still showing - so watch-ah!! So I will have to drool Ken next time.

But it is so satisfying to have watched a good film, with a great cast and cinematography.
I came out of the show elated, but with aching muscles all over. Why? Because the show is so darn intense!! I was really curling up in my seat in fear, in anticipation and at one point, think I nearly chew the skin off hubby's hand.

Yes, Whitake's portrayal of Amin is that terrifying. And he really looks the part! When I came back and compare Amin's photos with Whitake in the show, wow, quite a strong resemblance in "spirit" of the face - the look, the aura, it is all well internalised in Whitake. It must be darn scary to try to live in the skin of such a scary/ crazy man.

And his unpredictability adds a lot of thrill to the show, and I was so absorbed into the film i really forgot myself, hence, the aging muscles.

I love every bit of it. And I think a man's madness is scary. And when it is an issue of life and death, I wonder about the kind of courage it takes to overcome such a tyrant.

So I came back and goggle Amin to read more about this terrifying man. And i found this site that listed a summary of all the scary men in history, which has Amin listed under the Killers category. Along with him are the other famous killers in the 20th century, so I had a bloodthirsty time lapping it all up. Quite intriguing, so much so I have it in my bookmark so I can continue to learn more about these Killers, there is a Heroes category but Heroes are predictable yeah and not half as exciting.

It is always the extreme "Other" that intrigue us, as there is no way we can be in their skin, what makes them tick, what is their motivation.

And I am on a high from this film, maybe i have been a bit movie deprived, but bad movies are really a waste of time, so when a good one comes by, it is like having eaten the most sinful of chocolates, or having been given a really special treat - and it makes me feel good all over.

Except for the aching muscles! Still aching today, darn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home